A little bit touching, a little bit thought-provoking, and a whole lot funny – Super Bowl commercials are rich with material for lessons. Since I’m an English teacher, I see these commercials as the perfect opportunity to cover persuasive appeals, rhetorical devices, literary techniques, and even media choices. I’m sure we all have our favorites for different reasons, but the ones I linked below are the ones I love because I am that nerdy English teacher! I’ve compiled them all in one place for you, so all the research is done. If you haven’t covered Common Core R.7 or SL.2 yet, the Super Bowl would be the perfect opportunity to do so AND make a real-world connection. Your cool teacher rating? 10 out of 10! This Super Bowl Commercials Lesson Plan always “scores big” with my classes!
1) 2013 Dodge “So God Made a Farmer” with Paul Harvey narrating
2) Budweiser Clydesdale “Puppy Love” 2014
3) Monster.com “When I Grow Up” 2008
4) “Cat Herding” (2000) EDS.com
5) “Middle Seat” – Doritos 2015
Here are a couple more of of my favorites…
– Honda, Dream On, 2017 (being the yearbook sponsor, this one had to make my list!)